Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Upon the Winds of Time

2009 has pounced upon us with a vengeance, bringing tides of change upon its frigid winds. I stand out in an open plain, like a lone tree swaying in its breeze... waiting for its embrace... waiting for its twisted futures to unravel before my eyes.

I have no armor against its raw, cold energy blowing against my exposed skin. I turn my face away slightly, which gives me the opportunity to look back at 2008. As I do, I envision this photo entitled, "Serenity of High Loch Leven Lake" which as taken on August of 2008. This is my official 2008 Photo of the Year, and to this day, it still offers one of very few bright moments in 2008's otherwise dreary skies.

Ironically, this photo was taken during one of the most bizarre, yet rewarding relationships I've ever had. A man named Phillip stood next to me and admired the lake from its edge. Like High Loch Leven Lake, there was something serene about him... something beautiful... something peaceful. But, the lake and the man had something else in common in that there was also sadness beneath their clear, calm surface. It was a sadness that love was powerless to repair -- a wound only a respect for individuality could heal.

This was one of two relationships that followed the same doomed path to utter destruction in 2008 -- a path where only a lesson, not love, waited for me at the end. However, through failed relationships, a death in the family, tragedies, tribulations, and triumphs, I learned some very important things about myself and those close to me.

Everything happens for a reason. People cross your path for a reason. The reasons may not be what we desire to hear, but if something is learned, then we have won. I feel that there is never a time where all is lost, and when something truly good does happen, it's worth embracing... it's worth savoring... it's worth fighting for.

So, here I stand, my gaze turned ahead once more to face the breeze of a new year. I open my arms to embrace. The doors to my heart, mind, and soul open once more. I feel stronger, optimistic, and forgiving. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Day, something injected hope into my veins, and for the first time, I feel something positive about New Year's.

Here's to a great 2009 for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment