Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Quiet Place

It's amazing how fast days fly by, especially when you are off from work. The sun seems to glide across the sky; eyes struggling to keep up with its graceful movement. Slow down, clock... I'm trying to think!

Today, one of my best friends has graced me with his presence - live from Chicago, IL. He escaped the impending blizzard and landed safely here in the Land of Random Weather. Last night, we went to one of Dallas' popular gay eateries, Hunky's. It's a diner-themed restaurant with patio space and plenty of glass to man-watch while grazing on my food.

Afterwards, we went across the street to the corner gay bar, J.R.'s -- a place I don't really frequent anymore since my favorite bartender no longer greets me at "point". But, on a Monday night, the pretentious crowd seems to be dimmed down to a light dusting of everyday guys just out for a few drinks and quieter conversation. We went upstairs and ordered a $2 rum and coke, which was 7/8th rum and 1/8th coke. Definitely a leg-spreader of a drink!

I haven't laughed and enjoyed myself like this in days. As we drank another, I noticed that the corner coffeehouse was closed down. I was kinda mummed over that, because I can remember the dates I've had there. It was where things began in my last relationship -- and now, fittingly, it was dark and empty. Only a string of icicle lights running along the roofline offered a glimpse of light -- almost like an afterthought. But in that darkness, there is opportunity for a new beginning. Perhaps something better will fill its bellows in the times ahead.

I've really learned to appreciate days off like these. Now that I'm back in the world of the living from multiple graveyard shifts, I've found a "quiet" place to enjoy. I feel alive... as though I was back in the picture above, experiencing the true peace and beauty that life has to offer -- if one'd only accept its embrace. Today is the day I'm doing just that!

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog - I know how you felt about that coffeehouse being closed down - there was one specific café here in Dublin (Ireland, not Ohio!) that I adored, and also had a few romantic memories attached to it, but sadly it closed down last year. Aww.

    Anyway, really enjoying reading this - keep it up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree the dallas area has change allot since I was there as well. Miss the olden days.
    Nice blog. I am adding you to mine. If thee is a problrm; please let me know.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete