Friday, January 16, 2009

Irregular Brainwave Moment

It remains cold and cloudy here in North Texas, which is just fine with me! This is one of those days where you just want to curl up with a man in front of the fireplace over a beer/glass of wine/highball. If I had one to curl up with, and if I didn't have to work until 6:00am, I'd be all over that.

Today, on my way to the 'office', I had an irregular brainwave moment. I found myself just a bit annoyed at some unknown thing for an unknown reason. Just slightly annoyed. Unfortunately, the customer ahead of me at Subway was the focus of my irregularity.

Here this brotha is... standing there with 3 dollars in his hand, pondering over the menu. There was one customer ahead of him who diligently directed the young sandwich maker through her sandwich construction process. With my tooth still throbbing and my stomach growling, I could hardly wait until it was my turn to order; a $5 footlong Meatball Marinara sandwich on honey oat bread and American cheese -- not toasted.

Okay, so I fidgeted around... standing just behind the older brotha... rocking on the heels of my shoes. I decided to pull out my wallet so it would be a quick, seamless process from ordering to paying -- as it was 1:45pm and I was due in at 2. Well, guess what happened....

The brotha adjusted his puke green ballcap to cover more of his salt n' pepper hair and approached the counter. Despite having several minutes to hammer out his order, he had a thousand questions for the sandwich maker. It clearly said that footlongs were $5 on the menu, yet he asked "how much" anyway, and he was $2 short based upon what he had in his hand. He had to ask what kinds of cheese, meat, and sandwiches they had. I literally felt my blood beginning to boil.

Why does it seem like the other line is always faster? If there is just one line, then why does it seem like there is always one person to jam it up when you are pressed for time? I mean, normally, I'm a patient guy -- but today, patience wasn't a virtue... and deep within the recesses of my mind, I was hoping the guy would lose his gold tooth on the first bite.

1 comment:

  1. On that note, I recently heard this line on comedy central about being in line at the check out of a grocery store only to see someone ahead of you pull out a checkbook and begin to seek deep within their purse for credentials, a pen, etc: "Who STILL writes checks?!?!". Too funny.

    ReplyDelete