Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beating Around the Bush

Wow, the day is upon us. As the sun continues to rise here in North Texas, we as Americans have a lot of reflection to do -- both backwards and forwards. When it comes to President George W. Bush, I've been beating around the bush while expressing my true feelings about him.

This is his "home state", though technically, born in Connecticut I don't consider him a native Texan. In a few hours, as the Obamas get settled into their new nest, the Bushes will be heading back to their old one... just 12 miles north of "The Black Man Next Door" and less than 5 miles from where "The Black Man Next Door" works.

When I first heard about SMU being chosen as the site for our 43rd President's library, tears of sadness ran down my face. I wondered how many foreign missiles would be aimed at Dallas once he came back and littered the place with his influence. I wondered about a lot of things... both good and bad.

Today, I focus on the good things, and I would hope that the George W. Bush Presidential Library would NOT overdo the good things. The truth should come out for all to see, and perhaps the Library could accomplish that by dedicating a floor to each "truth". You know, like the Katrina Disaster Floor... the Weapons of Mass Destruction Floor... the Economic Crisis Floor... and Floor 9/11. I will admit... he had it rough, and I'm not sure many of us could have done better. We clearly see the aging that has taken place on Bushy's face, and it's hard to see what accomplishments he achieved until you really dig into the historical war chest.

Probably the best thing I can commend him for is his attention to the AIDS epidemic in Africa. I am proud of his support in committing funds to that cause, although the one here in the US needs more attention, too. We will have to prod Obama on that. Nevertheless, this is the first and last time you'll ever see the following words from "The Black Man Next Door".

Good luck, Mr. President Bush, in all of your endeavors. You are definitely not my favorite, but the bottom line is, you have done a great service for this country. Hopefully in the future, you will admit your arrogance and make peace with the Americans that didn't like you -- and primarily because of that arrogance. In the meantime, welcome "home".... and don't park your entourage in my space.

No comments:

Post a Comment