Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rise of a New Building

There may be hope for Dallas' oldest gayborhood yet. I can remember the days of driving along Cedar Springs and pulling into the Tom Thumb to grab a few 'items' on the way home from work. I remember the dates I had at the old Crossroads Market. Or how about the dark, mine-shaft themed club called Throckmorton Mining Company that ominously closed last year? I miss that 'Wall of Shame' where hopeful one-night standers hung out.

Recently, TMC has moved around the corner and reopened with a vengeance. It's certainly a relief to meet my friends there for Sunday night 80s dance music again. Good, stiff drinks... a Ms. Pac Man machine... and of course, good-lookin' men -- all are back on the menu after a 10-month hiatus. But now, something else catches my eye.

Out of the rubble of a long-gone Tom Thumb rises a new development. Apparently, this place is called Illume (rendering pictured above) -- a mixture of high-end retail, ritzy restaurants, and upscale apartments to revitalize "The Strip"... just what every neighborhood needs during a blundering economy. Seriously, though.. from what I read, the developers are aiming to revitalize gay-anchored neighborhoods all over the country with a broad paintbrush of brighter colors.

I wish them luck, and I'm glad that Cedar Springs is getting a boost. The caveat to all of this is the fact that nowadays, developers seem to be hell-bent on attracting both gay and straight crowds. I can't blame them, as it only makes good business since. At the same time, I'm afraid that this will dilute or otherwise water down the gay identity imprinted in the Cedar Springs neighborhood. But, I guess that's the price we must ultimately pay in exchange for more tolerance and acceptance.

Hmmm... I wonder if Illume's developers supported Prop 8 with generous donations. Nothing sucks more than taking our (gay/lesbian) money and using it to attack us behind our backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment