Friday, January 30, 2009

Dating Pet Peeve #1

One of my elders always said that the best way to judge a man is by how he juggles time. If that's true, then things may not bode well in my dating life.

Now, I have to tell ya... when I agree to go out on a date with someone, 9.999 times out of 10, I am so nervous that I'm constantly going to the bathroom until the ordeal is over. Moreover, I get twice as conscientious about the passage of time prior to the date. This is because I feel much better if I am the first one to arrive at the mutually agreed location - whether on dates, to meetings, or other gatherings.

I hate being late. Rushing is usually not my style. I love to plan, plot, and take my time with things... savoring the day if its a 'pleasure-oriented' appointment. Not to mention that I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone if I make them wait because I'm running late.

So, not too long ago, I agreed to meet someone for a drink at 10:30PM. I waited... and waited... 10:45PM... 11PM... and finally, at 11:30PM, he strolls into the joint. I had already enjoyed 2 drinks and just started a game of Ms. Pac-Man. We had our introductions as I continued to dodge ghosts on the 2nd level of the game... gobbling up dots like candy. As I feverishly attempted to snag the bananas that came onto the screen, a ghost got me! It was my last chance -- GAME OVER.

I finally turned my full attention to the guy, and he asked if I'd like another drink. Unfortunately, I had to be at work the next morning -- as I stated on the telephone when I agreed to this shindig. An hour or so is really all I had to invest into the date. "No, thank you." I replied. Then, I smiled at the very attractive man, put down my empty glass, and told him to enjoy his evening.

I left.

Some would call me an asshole... and that's OK. Some men are forgiving when such things happen. I'm only forgiving if they acknowledge that they were late and politely apologize. What does that say about a guy that keeps someone waiting and waiting and waiting? Pick up the phone... call a brotha. If you are low on minutes, I'll gladly reimburse you. If it costs too much to text me, I'll foot the $.10 bill. Sheesh... let me know you are running late. Communicate.

I may have been harsh. I may have been rude. I may have been out of line. I accept that opinion gracefully. But, in these parts... as she says... the best way to judge a man is by how he juggles time.

3 comments:

  1. Well kevin if that is the case. I am one of these that arrives abit early. Work, date, dinner with freinds. etc. If the person that i was meeting was a late as you said. I would move on. I also do not like people whom I am with having phones. I had this one lady freind we were haing around together, she was do more texting than being with me. I told her to take me home; I also explain why. If I am with you, you get my time. I do expect the same. now if there is an emergancy, I do understand that.
    Hope you stayed warm.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were justified. He was rude and inconsiderate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as concerned about down-to-the-minute puncutality as you, Kevin . . . but being an hour late for a date is totally obnoxious, especially a *first* date. I'd have been out the door at the 20-minute mark. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete