Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mayor's Eye for a Twink Guy

Here I am, multitasking on the graveyard shift again. There's just 2 more to work after tonight, and then I receive 12 days off to do as I please! In the meantime, a multitude of thoughts roam through my brain tonight. I just read up on the plight of an openly gay Portland, Oregon mayor (Sam Adams) who is wrestling with the thought of resigning from office.

Why?

Because he jumped in the sack with a then-18-year old legislative intern named Beau Breedlove nearly 5 years ago. Hmmm.. as long as the young man was in fact verified to be legal at the time, what's the big deal? Besides, there's spice and adventure to be had in an age-gap nowadays!

Anyway, so I also read that Mr. Adams lied about it. So what? I understand that owners of certain publications believe that their image is tarnished because of this flap. But, people aren't stupid enough to tuck tail and run away from a paper that painted Sam Adams in a positive light prior to all of this ruckus.

Besides, if the mayor had said that it happened when it actually happened, then someone would have asked him whether he was the 'pitcher' or the 'catcher'... and then how many positions did they screw in... and then how long his manhood was... I mean, seriously -- when do we simply accept that some things are none of our business, even if we are in office. Sometimes I wonder what is the POINT of knowing the answer to some of the questions we ask nowadays.

I guess I just accepted a long time ago that people (especially politicians) have always lied, and will continue to do so. Trying to put someone in office that is pristine clean is a waste of time in my opinion... and borderline delusional. That's all part of being human, especially when you lie out of fear of losing something, such as your job.

Being gay doesn't exempt us from that. If we are worried how the heterosexual eye will be further slanted towards stereotypes, we can always point to President Clinton -- who lied about his seedy encounter on national television.

Then again, Monica wasn't a teenager. Do you think we would see this indiscretion any differently if she was barely legal? If so, why? .... and to run further.. if Beau Breedlove was say... 25... would this issue play out any differently if Mr. Adams lied about having sex with him?

Hmmmm.... okay, time to run some reports and get some actual work done before 6:00am. Hope everyone has a wonderful night!!

2 comments:

  1. i heard about this. i hope he doesn't resign. and they make a cute couple! maybe i shouldn't say that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my friends, THIS is one reason why I will never run for public office. Heh. Thanks for the blog, K.

    ReplyDelete