Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Observation Deck

Well, today was my first of 11 days from work, and I spent most of it sleeping! Adjusting from the graveyard shift back into the real world can be difficult at times. I suspect as I get older, it will only get more difficult.

Speaking of jobs and working... I was sad to hear that a man killed his 5 children, wife, and finally himself out in Los Angeles. Apparently, he just lost his job, like so many others - and took things over the edge.

I never understood what drives someone to kill those that they love over situations such as these. Many of us have lost, quit, or been fired from a job before... dusted ourselves off... and kept going - especially if you are blessed enough to have a family with children for support.

Hmmmmm... family.

If only American gays and lesbians were blessed to have their families recognized by the federal government. If only we didn't have to claw and fight our way into acceptance... into a means of having the rights and privileges afforded to heterosexual families. I would have loved to tell the father that murdered his family to think about the silver lining before demolishing his world with a gun. There are countless people out there that see your world as treasure, even if you have just lost your job.

In the meantime, the "Black Man Next Door" is off to Columbus, Ohio tomorrow morning -- weather permitting. I hope the ice storm doesn't embrace the Dallas area too hard overnight and cause flight cancellations in the morning! I'm looking forward to joining my good Midwestern friends for a bit of fun tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment