Wednesday, February 18, 2009

War of the Christians

Ahhhh, something just happened to me that hasn't happened in months! No, I'm not talking wet dreams... rather, I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping... pigeons cooing... one giant chorus outside of my ever-brightening bedroom window. So anyway, while the coffee is brewing in the kitchen, I figured I'd take this opportunity to decorate this small corner of cyberspace with a few thoughts.

You see, last year, I ventured to this new social networking site called Facebook. On there, I started connecting with all sorts of friends, new and old. I forged most of those friendships right here in Texas. But recently, one of my friends resurfaced after a few years, and she has been on my mind ever since I posted "Within These Walls" on February 16th.

Whether she knew this or not, she had a profound effect on me. She gave me a fresh perspective on things, especially religion. In fact, there have been a lot of people... heterosexual, die-hard Christian men and women I've met in recent times that have really helped me understand what's going on in the world.

There's a social war currently in progress... a World War III... a War of the Christians; homosexuals have long been caught in the middle. Even though many of us identify as Christian, we are still their ultimate manifest destiny. We are the "Kashmir" of India, China, and Pakistan. We are the "oil of Iraq". We represent something that two other parties are fighting over. They are fighting over a coveted resource I truly believe all people of faith ultimately need... and that is self-validation.

For the purpose of this post, my newly found lady friend belongs to the side I call "Angelics". The other side is filled with people that go into homo-oriented blogs and assail us with their perspective on what's right and what's wrong... hurling Bible passages at us like Molotov cocktails. Yet, they fail to see why so many homosexuals are angry with them. As a response, some of us lash back with sometimes hateful responses. Texas is literally infested with this type of Christian, whom I term the "Battlers".

War of the Christians: Angelics vs. Battlers

Now, not all Battlers yell, scream, and approach homosexuals with guns blazing. Some of them can be coy, cool, collected, and calculating -- with deadly precision. These types of Battlers move around in stealth mode, dropping landmines in an effort to blow us up piece by piece. First a leg... then an arm; our heart; a thigh; a breast; a wing -- you get the idea.

Ahhh, yes -- Battlers in stealth mode. They pass out fliers... they cruise through gay neighborhoods on "peaceful missions of conversion"... they attempt to alter legislation. Essentially, they confront homosexuality via physical means. They believe by forcing God's word onto us, that will somehow "cure" us of our afflictions and give us the chance to repent, or go to Hell.

Meanwhile, the Angelics, although many of whom empathize with Battlers, take a starkly different approach. They confront homosexuality with the attempt to understand and respect our differences. In reaching out with their olive branches, from time to time, they will invoke their beliefs through indirect suggestions. "Come check out my church this Sunday." "There's this guy in Bible Study that I may think is actually gay. Help me find out." Long story short, they "pray" for us while standing by our side. As such, you'd never see a Battler and a homosexual going to gay bars together... drinking, dancing, laughing, and just having a good, honest time... only Angelics.

Angelics believe that the key to getting people to love God is not by damning them to Hell... stone-casting... rewriting Constitutions... and such. Additionally, they believe that homosexuals are the moral stepping stones Battlers need to quench an insatiable appetite for self-rightousness. They feel that the Battlers are attacking us with words in a subtle attempt to validate themselves, even though Angelics aren't aware that they need to be validated from time to time as well.

Nevertheless, Angelics are generally confident in their own skin and beliefs, and don't feel the need for "pounce and conquer" tactics. So, it's safe to theorize that Angelics tend to indirectly take the "kill homosexuality with kindness" approach. Hence, this is the source of this two-front War of the Christians, and the stains of our blood coat a violent battlefield.

The homosexual's conundrum spawned when there became a need for everyone to co-exist in order for the greater whole to survive. Now, I believe it's vital for the gay community to build bridges, even with those who disagree with our sexual orientation -- or what some like to refer to as 'lifestyle'. For that, the Angelics are the surest bet we have in accomplishing that goal. If there is ever to be gay marriage or rights at the American federal level, it will be at the political hands of Angelics. However, we can only stand halfway on the bridge. If the Battlers would rather blow that bridge up, then there's nothing more we can do with them.

I guess that's why I have only befriended Angelics - and somehow, someway, they manage to stay in my life... walk with me side-by-side in our similarities and our differences. Angelics are the reason I believe that not all heterosexual, die-hard religious, and/or Republican people are out to utterly crush us in this life and beyond.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Kevin;

    Great looking blog, I'm now following your blog and add a link to it on LGBT Rainbow Links.

    I was wondering if you knew what was going on in San Antonio at WOAI-TV ?

    They are running in their commentary blog section a three part anti-gay series.

    To find out more about it and perhaps lend your voice and blog to the cause of getting this gay hate off their website just click my name in the comment and it will take you to LGBT Rainbow Links where you can read about it.

    Thanks and have a Rainbow Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lyndon. I will most certainly check this out, and hopefully, other bloggers will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin its obvious u have gone through some of your own battles with the church and religion. For that I am sorry. And that does suck, but you’re a smart guy who can appreciate other points of view. So let me offer you one. I was raised in the catholic church, as stern as it was. I seem to find solace in that. A long time ago when I was figuring out who I was, I left. But even after I found that happy medium there was something still missing. One time in particular when I was having a very bad day , I went to church on a whim. I sat in the empty sanctuary with prayer candles lit all around me and found a peace that I had never had before. It stayed with me for weeks afterward. I have since continued to go and just sit whenever I need to commune with my thoughts. I also attend mass and confession on a regular basis. It gives me such relief and joy when ever I am troubled, I like to think that the big man upstairs is listening and going to work on problems that I can not understand or deal with. I know every religion has its die hard, bible thumping, stone casting zealots. I am also aware homosexuals have had a hard row with the church. But for me and some others like me, we need that outlet in our life. I don’t know what I would do, if I couldn’t go and find that peace. and solitude that keeps harmony in my life. I guess my point is sometimes church and religion can be a beautiful thing. If that’s right who knows?….but it is something to think on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kevin, if you feel comfortable with yourself and others. FUCK THE REST.. Don not let people get you down and bother you. You need to use your energy in a better way than letting those people burn your energy down by the attitudes. Unless you are a Pagent queen and they are the judges....LOL.
    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. I completely agree with your description of this two sides. It isn't like the realy oppose each other on the bottom line, they think homosecuality is not right and they feel they should "do" something to change us. However, I think it is not fair to describe this as "the battle" in the Christian world. I think there is an incresing number or religious leaders and denominations that accept us as we are and cherish our individualities. This Christians are also battleling and they are standing up for us.
    They do not need to, or they do not have to. But they see themselves as allies, true allies,who need to stand up and include our group in the Christian faith.
    Like other have posted, many of us in the GLBT community identify as believers, and unfortunately, many times we are forced to take sides: either we suppport our denomination our we support our sexual orientation, as an identity. We are forced to identify as either, or. And this is not done only by many Christians but by our own community, thay one that claims to be inclusive and tolerant and accepting and admirant of diversity.
    There is another significantly important battle within the Christian world and that battle we should be supporting. The truth is the loss in California reflected that religious individuals do not understand us YET and therefore, this battle,within the Cristian world, to include our group is not only important to the ones who consider themselves as believer in the GLBT community but to all members of the queer folk. Once more Christians identify as allies, we will face less discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The truth is the loss in California reflected that religious individuals do not understand us YET and therefore, this battle,within the Cristian world, to include our group is not only important to the ones who consider themselves as believer in the GLBT community but to all members of the queer folk."

    This is one of many parts of your opinion that I totally agree with, Anonymous. The key to this epic battle is building bridges of understanding and tolerance.

    However, there are many out there that are prime examples of the horse that you can lead to the water, but not make drink. Those people will never 'accept' us, but we can always try to work with them to build tolerance and a peaceful co-existence. Those people are the Battlers that I describe, and you can only meet them halfway on the bridge.

    I truly believe that the words "war" and "battle" are appropriate, though. There are many Christians out there that are good, honest people... yet, they truly believe that homosexuals will destroy their world... and those are the "Battlers" that funneled money into Prop 8.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Like other have posted, many of us in the GLBT community identify as believers, and unfortunately, many times we are forced to take sides: either we suppport our denomination our we support our sexual orientation, as an identity. We are forced to identify as either, or." -- Anonymous

    Now, after reading this part of your response Anonymous, an interesting twist to this whole shin-dig can be pondered by throwing the word "gay" in front of the label "Battler" or "Angelic". The self-haters and ex-gays throw a whole new dynamic into the equation.

    Good stuff!! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes have to work hard to remind myself that Christians are not necessarily bad people.

    TRiG.

    ReplyDelete