Friday, February 20, 2009

Interraciality, Part I

The other night at a local gay club, while I was enjoying a celebration for one of my fag hag's professional achievements, I had just enough cocktails to get out on the dance floor. Another one of my female friends joined me out there, and as we swirled away to 80s dance music, I noticed two men off to my left. They clicked so well together, dancing like intertwined birds... arms and hands draped over each other... eyes locked onto one another as if communicating by some extrasensory means.

Now, you're probably saying.. "Kevin, it's a gay bar with guys all over the dance floor. What's the big deal?" Just tie your wings up for a second, I'm getting there. You see, these weren't just two every day gaybirds dancing in the pale moon light. One of them was a 5'10" White guy, dressed like the guy-next-door. The other, a 6' or so Black guy, dressed like the guy-next-door... and there were NO other paired-up dancers like that in the whole joint. Both of them looked as though they walked straight out of the office and onto the dance floor.

Now, you're really scratching your head.. "Kevin, interracial couples are out all the time, and it's a common thing nowadays. After all, the 1960s are long gone." Maybe in your neck of the woods, but...

To that, I say, "Wrong."

I have long walked the streets here in this Texas metropolis called Dallas/Ft. Worth, and you'd be surprised how rare it is to see any interracial couples walk down "rainbow avenue"... much less dancing together in a club. In these parts, out of all racial combinations that you would see on occasion, White-Black 'interraciality' seems to be one of the rarest dynamics. Anyway, as my fag hag twirled me around on the dance floor, I was completely mesmerized. I tried not to make it obvious that I was staring at them, but it was the most refreshing sight that I've ever seen at The Mining Company gay club.

Perhaps somewhere deep in the recesses of your brain, you are asking me "Why?"... Hmmmm, probably because in all my years of dating, I've heard so much about the stigmas of "interraciality", be it homo- or heterosexual. I've had everything from religious beliefs to statistics thrown in my face, and my past failed interracial relationships only bolster those statistics.

But that night, on that dance floor, I felt the energy of two soul mates of interraciality... and it was strong. Love really does have no color, and I walked off of the dance floor smiling, tipsy, and hopeful.

5 comments:

  1. Was the interracial-ness of the couple, or what is the fact that they seemed so in love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, it's two-fold, really. Not only did the two seem like they were so in love, but that I saw an interracial couple dancing on that floor for the first time since I've gone to that place.

    If you are someone that also dates outside of your race, it can be so damned hard to find them around here. When you do, there are so many obstacles to overcome as an interracial couple. But something tells me that those two guys could jump over a mountain if it were in the way of their love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But something tells me that those two guys could jump over a mountain if it were in the way of their love."

    Then I can totally see why you couldn't look away.
    It must be diifcult to be straight and in an interracial relationship, but to be gay, as you say, has many more obstacles thrwon at it.
    Marlos si from Mexico and, up here in Smallville, when peole find out about our relationship, and that I'm a white boy and he's a Hispanic lad, they always ask if he speaks English.
    Like no one from Mexico ever learned English,
    Silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way back in the day, when I use to go out, there were only one or two mixed couples. I have to admit, they are hard not to watch, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, did you and Carlos run into any race-related issues with your families? How did they react when you introduced each other?

    ReplyDelete