Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shockwaves

Greetings from deep in the heart of North Texas. Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity in my personal life -- ranging anywhere from a $60 5-minute doctor's appointment to spending 1.5 hours in a courthouse. Hopefully today will be much quieter!

Well, I was saddened to hear that our family's first interracial marriage of 20 years may be coming to an end. As I listened to the news over the phone, my heart went out to my 2nd cousin and his wife. Apparently, he went off to celebrate a birthday in the family... came home to the kids, but no wife -- and her clothes were gone.

I totally understand the emptiness and angst he must be feeling now. I've had two walkouts in my dating tenure, and I feel that it's damned near the worst way to break up with someone... especially when that much time has been put into the relationship. Then again, who knows how their marriage really was.

Just yesterday, a music teacher in Miami, FL shot his wife, 2 daughters, and then himself... a guy that by all neighborly and friendly accounts had forged the "perfect family". It's so scary how reality can be so much different than what we see through our eyes. People seem to be so good at deception nowadays... but sheesh -- abandoning someone you love or killing them outright is something that I could never comprehend... and it only seems to work in the movies.

Society has become so desensitized, sensationalistic, and cynical, hasn't it? How have things gotten to be so bad? Is it technology? Is it changing dynamics of the family unit... parents working more and parenting less? Who knows... but damn, this world is so crazy right now.

4 comments:

  1. That is sad. At least tell someone you are leaving. I never understand when someone kills their whole family. What could be that bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the world has changed because of, and this makes me sound old, TV.

    Well, TV and computers and emails and IMs and Cell Phones and Blackberries. There is little to no physical or emotional contact with people anymore.

    We're all words on a screen or pictures on a TV.

    Who knows why people leave, but stop and think, would you like to come home and find your loved one up and gone? Then don't do it to them.

    I am not a religious man, but I do try and live by the 'Do unto others....' credo.

    The guy in Florida? Maybe his life wasn't picture perfect, but he spent a lot of time making it so; all his neighbors thought so. If he was troubled, why didn't he reach out?

    If we can't help each other through the tough times, why are we here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're onto something, Bob. I was reading an article about the effects of social networking sites on human brain. It touched on the fact that there are so many youngsters out there that amass hundreds of friends on these sites, many of which they never meet, and if they were to lose one... so what? They'll just send a quick request to someone else and find a replacement.

    Interesting stuff... *sigh* technology... can't live with it; can't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't she leave a not or something. Now the kids may think everything was their fault. That is the saddest part of it. Now your cousin is going to have to try his best to be father and mother and everything else to them. I will say a little pray for them.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete