Saturday, February 28, 2009

Labels du Jour

Here I am, up and at em' way too early, and without coffee. I figured, what the hell! I can be a versatile writer by blogging and chatting online at the same time! In doing so, it's time for me to admit yet one more flaw... one more Achilles' Heel of the Black Man Next Door. You see, I tend to take things so literally sometimes, that I often miss the true meaning or intent of what is being said. Also, I am HORRIBLE at deciphering acronyms... so chatting can be a dangerous thing for me in more ways than one, and I can easily slip into trouble.

This morning, however, I ran across a "label" that is probably so obvious to everyone else... and maybe the lack of coffee is turning me into a feral, confused man. But what the hell is a "versatile top" or a "versatile bottom"? Don't drop your jaw too far, in my defense, I DO know what a top and a bottom is... (laugh) ... but this is something I call a combination label. Combination labels automatically trigger me to snatch a dictionary and do some research before I broadcast my dumbfoundedness to the world.

Hmmmm... okay, okay... (fingering dictionary pages) the first definition of versatile defines it as one who's capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc. In the realm of sex, I can certainly understand "versatile" as a simple label -- one who can flip a coin and be just as content with heads up or tails up. I'm cool with that... however, therein lies my confusion.

What is the point of identifying oneself as a "versatile top"? I guess to me, I fail to see why the simple label of "versatile" doesn't meet the criteria of someone who can and does go both ways. Is this some sort of 2oth century "homo-code" that I'm just now running into? Shit, I hate labels sometimes!! While you enlighten me, I'm going out coffee-hunting before I destroy something.

Have a great weekend and last day of February, everyone! Speaking of last day, tomorrow brings forth the debut of Mr. March. This man, who will pop up at 12:01AM Central Time, has gone through a very rigorous vetting process, and I hope you like!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, Kevin buddy, think I need to sit you down and have a long talk about birds and bees . . . . lol. You're just now hearing this phrase?

    I describe myself as a versatile top, which for me is shorthand for "most of the time I want to do you, but sometimes I like to be done to, if you turn me on in that direction."

    It's also a way of expressing my distaste for the whole top/bottom label business. When I came out, nearly 30 years ago, there were no tops or bottoms: everybody just did what they felt like doing at a given moment, and we didn't feel a need to put a label on ourselves, or confine ourselves into one narrow category.

    At this point in life, I generally prefer certain things that I fantasize about more than other things . . . but I still like it all, depending on the man, the mood, and the chemistry. You want it any more specific than that, I'll have to put it in an email. ;o)

    All labels are silly to some degree, yeah, but people expect them nowadays it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grin* I knew you'd set the record straight, Russ... no, I haven't run into that combination label before. I've only known versatiles, tops, and bottoms.

    I share your disgust for labels.. but it's only natural to use them, so why fight against the grain. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone who says they're a versatile top is trying to do one of two things:

    1). Give the booty up to you. You'll feel really special because they're ordinarily a top.

    2). Not give up the booty. They're not really versatile, they're just claiming to be so as not to get accused of being close-minded.

    ReplyDelete