Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Double-Edged Sword

*Sigh*... I tell ya... rudeness is infecting society. We all know how this ancient phenomenon is on the rise, but the real question is why?

A fellow blogger's comment on a previous post inspired me to ponder things like why people claim they are online for "Friends" and "Conversation", say 'hello', then drop off the face of the Earth. No follow-up like "How is your day going?"... nothing.

People drive around like bats out of hell, rushing to cut you off so they can imminently slam on the brakes and go below the posted speed limits. Idiots would rather cut across five lanes of traffic, risking a fatal accident to make their exit because they waited to the last minute. Never mind the fact there is another exit just 1/4 mile away.

People shooting their entire family with a pistol and then themselves, rather than just putting the pistol to their own head and leaving the rest of them alone.

The culprit? Technology. Technology has allowed us to produce more, produce it faster, and spoil ourselves into a mode of entitlement. It's also made things that were once difficult to do -- like break up with someone -- much more easier and impersonal. It is brainwashing us in unimaginable ways. Don't believe me? Just look around and count how many people are obsessed with their cell phones. They just HAVE to answer it at all times - in grocery stores, movies, airplanes, hell... even while taking a damned piss. Cock in one hand. Phone in the other.

Technology is such a double-edged sword. The good thing is that it can make life so much easier for us if applied correctly. The bad thing is that it makes being human so much harder. Okay, so let's magically deal with problems without ever having to WORK at them. Let's take out Technology's "Keyboard of Life" and look at a few sitch-e-ations.

Don't have friends? Just log onto a social networking site and amass a throng of no-maintenance, no cost, no frills pseudo-friends. If one slights you, simply hit the DELETE key, and your problem is over. No work, no hassle, no fuss, or... what's that popular line... ahh, yes -- NO drama.

Got a nice guy that's interested in you, but he's just a bit too ugly or short-handed behind the zipper? No problem. Technology's "Keyboard of Life" to the rescue again! Just hit the ESCAPE key; he's toast, and you've made an easy, clean getaway.

Ever notice how some people's age never increases? You saw that same guy online 5 years ago at age 29. Yeah, you know which one I'm talking about... that sexy one - blue shirt with the snaps. Today, he's magically still tenderly 29. Relax, it's no fountain of youth. Whip out technology's "Keyboard of Life" and all of your hangups over age are over. Pick a day out of the year, hit the BACKSPACE key, and do it on that same day every year -- and you can still stay "in the game".

Got a hot guy that you'd just love to "get to know better"? Want to get him to notice you? Well, never fear... the days of having to meet in public first are OVER. Just post outdated photos of yourself on a matchmaking site, and you'll deceive him into your bed, lickety-split. By the time he goes through the trouble of getting toys, lube, condoms, slings, etc... he may be disappointed when he sees your true face, but he's so frickin' horny, he'll just say to hell with it. Press the ENTER key, and well... he will ENTER.

Did you blurt out something via email that you wish to take back? Noooooo problem. Just hit the END key to recall the message, and no harm, no foul. You never have to worry about learning how to smooth things over face-to-face when you communicate something in the wrong way.

Or maybe you just want to ditch a difficult situation and avoid the consequences -- this is something you don't even need the Keyboard of Life for... simply do it via text, and you never have to look that sucker in the eye and witness the carnage of your actions. That's the way to let your fingers do the walkin'!

Humanity is slowly eroding into slavery.... slaves to mindless technology. The next time your day goes from sugar to $hit, just think-- somewhere in the chain of fault lies a piece of technology. Ooops, gotta roll for now -- cell phone is ringing. Somebody's boning me up. Later, bloggers and bloggettes!

13 comments:

  1. Very true indeed! Working with the public over the last 20 years, I have witnessed the slow erosion of decent behavior. Sad really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those non-techie people.
    I have a cell phone that i keep in the car and use for emergencies. Last time I used it was August 08 when i was away from home for a few weeks.
    I don't Tivo, DVR, iPod, iPhone, Blackberry....I don't even VCR.
    The last of a dying breed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanna get to know me better? Wait, hold, my phone is going off. Hehe. You are right however. I recall days when people actually SPOKE face to face. GASP! It's like they have taken the "person" out of Personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I have made a similar blog on my site about technology (well mostly about the net).

    How did we survive without the likes of mobile phones and the internet?? It was writing, speaking on a phone or actually seeing people.

    I don't think we are developing our ability to actually interact with each other in the slightest, due to the advancements of technology.

    I know people who say they don't speak on the phone, they only text. What's the all about?

    I feel sorry for the new generation of kids coming into society and being introduced to all this technology from such an early age. Have you noticed that kids as young as maybe 2 years old are ALWAYS fascinated with mobile phones! Give them a pretend one, they throw it away, give them a real one, their attention only lies with that phone.

    It's scary to think that it is happening, but I honestly think that technology will eventually cause the end of humanity and real social interaction with each other.

    I may only be 21, but I feel I need to say this. It's not how it used to be!!

    www.alessiblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think that Tech may have something to do with it as well, but I think our society has more to do with it. I mean when I was young, my family sat at the dinner table without a boob-tube on. and talk about our day. Today the kids and parents do not talk the TV talks for everyone.
    When I was young as well you never saw anyone get shot on TV, now you see it on day time TV as well. Kids do not know it can kill, they see some guy get shot and then 2 days later he on another show. They really do nto understand what a gun can do.
    We as a society want everything fast and quick. If we just relax and enjoy what we have and slow down, theings would be better for all. Like sex, I enjoy it very slow and want to make the best of it. Agree somehitmes you have to doa quicky, but taken your time is better.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL intresting concepts on all sides gentlemen
    ...but as Mr. Ray`s Cowboys pointed out its all in how you use it....technology
    can be a wonderful and dangerous thing all at once...but if we learn to use in moderation things will even out i think!!...i remember in highschool when cell phones were box phones and couldnt leave ur car...but six years later my little sister had her own and she would call me from class when she was in highschool...things change as always and get to be easier to access...but we have the power over them...we often forget that....so i guess what im saying its up to us to change that....i mean after all technology
    is nothing but machines!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point, Laz. But I also saw something else interesting in Ray's comment. We hardly ever saw people get shot on TV - except that one Tom & Jerry episode --- ummmmm.. the point is, media is another devilish arm of technology. But somehow, this has robbed many of us the ability to cherish the passage of time. Life moves so fast, and that's not something easy to reverse. After all, would you give up wireless internet for a 300 baud modem and Commodore 64? Nah, didn't think so.

    Spoiled entitlement is not easy to counter, by any means...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great point Kevin.

    Being fed with a silver spoon in a sense makes you "spoilt".

    We are becoming a spoilt society. Things are generally too easy for us to access which is what is causing us to forget the finer things in life, like social interaction and just living life in general.

    How often do you go on the tube (subway in your case USA) and see someone playing around on their Blackberry whilst apparently listening to you! I walk past houses sometimes and manage to get a glance of the family in the living room (they should buy curtains!) and what do you see? Mum and dad and the two kids sitting in front of the TV eating. Or mum and dad watching TV, and the adolescent teenager constantly typing away on their mobile phone.

    And yes! Media is a devilish arm of technology. Being someone who unfortunately works in media (it just so happens that I'm good at that stuff!) I can 100% agree that media has so much to play in the way that we interact today. Meetings I go to are all about how we can attract the attention of the consumer, and KEEP their attention. This is obviously something that ALL companies think and in turn, this just means that people are constantly attracted to any kind of media whether it be print, radio or TV.

    It's the unfortunate way in which the world moves and in a sense the way in which the economy of countries is kept to a high (or not so high under current circumstances).

    It's all a vicious circle, but as Laz says, the only people who can make a change to this, is us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree with you more...think things can change?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the cogs are spinning in my head, Gayte-keeper. First thing is first. Time seems to go faster with age, doesn't it? I think we can collectively say yes.

    Why?

    To answer that, I ponder what was different in the life of a child than the life of an adult. What basic thing, other than increased exposure to technology, do we have in our lives as adults that would make time seem to go quicker?

    The biggest thing that sticks out to me is... bills or projects. What do all bills have in common? Deadlines. In fact, our adult lives are filled with so many deadlines that we are in effect, "wishing our lives away"... can hardly wait till payday... can hardly wait to clear these bills this month... etc. etc.

    Indeed, technology makes it EASIER to do things faster...but what happens if we take away deadlines? We take away the need to hurry as fast. Then, you'd be a gem like Bob up there, who doesn't really have much need for a lot of technology.

    One thing I've done personally to stop worrying about deadlines is to let technology do that for me. I automate all of my bills so I can focus on doing things that I love without as much stress. Ultimately, I'm happier and less rude to people as a result.

    In essence, I believe we as a society can do things to reverse the negativity, cynicism, and spoiled entitlement... but are we willing to pay the price?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can thins change? I don't think they can anytime soon.

    We have become a society of complacency I think and are also happy to take whatever is given to us.

    Kevin is a prime example of someone who can use technology to his advantage, but not jeopordising his chance to live and enjoy life.

    But I think the main problem is that technology has made so many aspects of our lives easier, that some people see it as possibly the main way for them to "enjoy" life.

    I know of some people who find it REALLY hard to meet people whilst out, but find it easier to meet people online. The net and other technologies I think are slowly eating away at our abilities, and we are becoming too lazy/complacent to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah...so that is what the "end" key is for. Thankyou, though would have been handy to have known that a few weeks back...

    I'm a nurse, and you would think (well I do)people, even rude people, would be nice to me when I am caring for them or their loved ones...let's just say the good 'ol days are well and truly gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post. It was so true, especially about online dating(lol).
    Anyway, I only have a prepaid cellphone (bought it at the dollar store)and a landline. Furthermore, I keep my cellular off when I'm out. So if you can't reach me on my home phone then it must not be too important.
    I think people are just too available now. Whatever happened to just going and just hanging out, sans getting a phone call?

    ReplyDelete