Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Lost Art

So, yesterday I was at work minding my own business when "BLING!" I got new email. It was from a man (whom I'll refer to as Witch Doctor) that I was in the dialogue phase of the whole dating scene. We had seemingly developed a good rapport, but things were suddenly cut loose from his end via text message last week.

Quite honestly, I've learned to expect that most of the time -- call me jaded, that's fine. Perhaps 10, maybe even 5 years ago, I'd be pretty upset and distraught. Nowadays, I toss it over my shoulder like grains of salt. But, this e-mail I received represented a lost art in today's society. As I read his words, I honestly couldn't believe that he had sent this message... an apology.

I checked to make sure it went to the right person. The correct name was in the header... yep... he was aiming this right at me. It was a package with lost art inside -- one of the best gifts a soul can receive -- an apology.

Now, maybe you appreciate a detailed explanation embedded within an apology. Me, I don't particularly care to have explanations 99% of the time. I believe that, unlike my coffee, the less cream you add to an apology, the better and more sincere it becomes. No rationalization. No excuses. No justification.

Witch Doctor had nailed it down, and he certainly did his homework on performing this lost art in a way that I find pure and sincere. He acknowledged what happened. He said, "I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way." There was no 'blame-transfer' or anything like that.

As such, I had to thank Witch Doctor for restoring my faith in the belief that there are still people out there that care about others' feelings. To me, sincere apologies are one of the most fantastic pieces of art. I wish Witch Doctor all the best, and I hope that he finds nothing but peace and prosperity in his future.

4 comments:

  1. People can suprise you in the different ways. It is nice to hear when someone says I am sorry that I hurt you. (unless you into pain, S&M). I think this guy deserves a gold star stapled to his forehead.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe you can stay on as friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds nice, because, let's face it, these days when you get an apology it usually comes with excuses.
    I'm sorry but my boss.....
    I didn't mean to hurt you but I had car trouble and......

    A simple "I'm sorry" works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this posting. I forwarded it to several friends...glad that I read it, wish that I'd written it

    ReplyDelete